Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: phoenix334

General :
How lying turns into infidelity

default

 woundedbear (original poster member #52257) posted at 3:42 PM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

It has been over 10 years since D-Day. We are reconciled. I have been through all the stages at least a few times. I have backslid, moved forward, had bad days and terrible days as well as awesome days. We have made it through the worst of it. So I was surprised to hear an exchange on a podcast titled: Divorce Lawyer: Why Oral Sex and Granola Cause Divorce. I was amazed at the lawyer's insight and wisdom. I guess seeing the worst of marriage gives someone some clarity on the human condition and relationships. This is not word for word what he said, but it provided more insight on what happened in my marriage than any other piece of work.

"People early in relationships, for understandable reasons with no nefarious intentions, develop habits that in the long run are going to be bad for them. Like, "I don't want to disappoint this person, so I am going to tell them things that are not necessarily true, because an uncomfortable truth is worse for me than a comfortable lie." "Their mild discomfort is so uncomfortable for me that I am going to get in the habit of being untruthful about what I am feeling." Which is a perfectly understandable habit that may even be borne of love habit, but it is a bad habit, and don't get good at it. Because it will metastasize. There will be a line, a straight line from that people pleasing, good intentioned thing...and cheating on your partner."

"Like no one gets up one morning saying I am going to F up my life today. I think I am going to go out and I am going to ruin my relationship and ruin my partners trust in our relationship and other relationships. And I am going to take this other person's gig and screw that up. I am going to give others and myself trust and abandonment issues for the foreseeable future...Let's do it!"

"It's more like, Awe, its no big deal, its just a little flirting, c'mon we're human. Just 'cause your on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu. We're just playing we're not...it's not a big thing...okay its a big thing, but only happened once, one little... c'mon life is short, it happened once, nobody even knew. That is how it happened. Next thing you know is you turn around and you ask, how did we get here? Like when did this happen?"

He goes on to say "It's a straight line, it can be a long line, and the longer it is the harder it is to see how it happened. It is a lot of little bad choices." He illustrated it like how you can get overweight. It would be easy to see if you made one bad choice and your pants no longer fit, but that is not how it works, you make a lot of little bad choices and then you realize your pants no longer fit.

I had not heard it put that way and so matter-a-fact. So I shared it with my fWW. It made her cry, not because I was angry (I was not) but this was simply so full of wisdom about how it happened, and she had never seen it that way before. That her people pleasing lies when compounded the way she did, lead her to infidelity. And if she had been more honest, not only would she not have been made a slut (her word) by her own actions, she could have had a relationship with me that was closer and met her needs more.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. I have not listened to the rest of the podcast. I bet it has more insights. I would be interested in the reaction of both betrayed and waywards.

Me BS (59) FWW (59) DDay 3/10/2015 Married 36 years, together 40 2 kids, both grown.

posts: 287   路   registered: Mar. 14th, 2016   路   location: Midwest
id 8906577
default

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 4:00 PM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

It鈥檚 the slippery slope to an affair. Most often it鈥檚 not 1-2-3 馃挜- people are cheating. It starts off "innocently" as in meeting for the first time and then it builds over time to cheating. And "time" could be as short as a day or two.

Excellent post - I think it gives people something to think about b/c often the betrayed heard the way the affair started is because the married couple "don鈥檛 communicate" and the OM/OW listened.

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 12 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

posts: 15821   路   registered: May. 19th, 2017
id 8906578
default

BackfromtheStorm ( member #86900) posted at 8:58 PM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

People pleasing and lack of awareness are a big thing minimized into a little thing to cope and indulge in it.

It鈥檚 a mini but constant validation chase to soothe your insecurities about your value. You get recognition when you please, even if small and momentary is addictive, because it鈥檚 reassuring about you "being finally accepted ". The fear of not belonging is soothed. You end up wanting this reassurance more and more often in time.

When you are in a relationship that shouldn鈥檛 matter, because you are by default, accepted by your partner.

If the insecurity still whispers you aren鈥檛 worthy, you don鈥檛 belong, but at the same time you find comfort and a safe harbor in your partner鈥檚 presence, you might be tempted to avoid conflicts with small white lies, so you are sure you won鈥檛 risk to be cast away. (Which wouldn鈥檛 happen).

Honesty makes you uncomfortable when you seeded many little lies, because lies always blow up when scrutinized. Feedback loop.

And you started people pleasing your partner, which merges with the outside people pleasing, transferring the comfort of your relationship into blurring the line between the you as a partner and you as interfacing with the outside world.

Your partner becomes the testing ground for people pleasing lies, giving you back emotional energy as validation, and a sub surface sense of guilt for doing that.

But no guilt in doing the same with others right?

Not the same emotional investment but surely the same emotional validation and dopamine hits, relaxing, feeling pleasant.

You weaved a fantasy relationship at home because is now framed on a castle of little, unnecessary lies tha avoid conflict. Small each one, but forming a frame that is shaky in the number and frequency right now. You know you shouldn鈥檛 do and at the same time you want to preserve the fantasy perfection, so you can鈥檛 be honest and undo the net of lies.

The mere idea is depreadful.

Better minimize the chance of making little lies for conflict avoidance and validation. But it is now needed because your system is used to it as an easy fix.

Outside is safe as above, no emotional investment, little lies, small play pretend, nothing harmful and no big deal ven if it collapses. It鈥檚 a validation farm and is forgivable, or you aren鈥檛 as emotional invested that cutting those ties would really hurt.

So you bring the home model outside gradually (you probably started a while back already, testing the waters without realizing it). And it works, and you tell yourself lies about what you鈥檙e doing and why you鈥檙e doing and why it鈥檚 now feeling relaxing to do that outside while at home you walk on eggshells not to add more lies and not to blow the older ones up.

Then someday you interface with a person that is like you. Same little lies, same validation farming. You both get along because you鈥檙e answering to each other鈥檚 transactional need.

And you both have a story to tell yourself about why it is nothing bad what you are doing, why it鈥檚 innocent, why you deserve the good feel.

And of course you lie to each other to people please the other the most and receive back in kind the validation.

Even when you crossed the sexual line, the pattern doesn鈥檛 change, it just rebounds in your safe haven, the relationship and your partner, just now with treacherous and abusive lies replacing the little white ones you were escaping from.

The confrontation now, you know is nothing like it would have been for the little lies, now it鈥檚 an elder that will likely cast you away.

For the fear of confrontation and insecurity of being cast away, you reached the point where you cast away yourself, self fulfilling the prophecy that your low self worth feared.

But as long as you have this other person feeding the fantasyland of lies and deception with enough feel good to keep you going, you鈥檒l be likely to continue.

Confrontation is scary.

And people could do unthinkable things when they fear confrontation enough, that they choose lies over honesty.


Edit - is rather shame than guilt, guilt is felt and owned, shame is avoidance

[This message edited by BackfromtheStorm at 9:01 PM, Wednesday, September 30th]

You are welcome to send me a PM if you think I can help you. I respond when I can.

posts: 1140   路   registered: Jan. 7th, 2026   路   location: Poland
id 8906607
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy